Wednesday, June 23

Grace

This evening I got home at 6:10. The kids and I had a long commute home from my in-laws after being gone since late morning. 

My husband was home most of that time and I had some expectations when I walked in the door. Like the dishwasher emptied and some food warmed up for dinner. Maybe some time spent on a house project or two.

Without going into unnecessary details, I'll just say that my attitude was not a positive one once I got home. In my head I was calculating all I could have accomplished in six hours home alone without any children. I was creating a mighty good argument in my head.

But my husband told me he had had a rough day and was feeling very discouraged about being unemployed. So I kept my mouth shut. I tried to understand what it would be like to be home when you'd rather be working and supporting your family. I probably wouldn't feel like tackling home projects either.

Nearly two hours later I walked into our bedroom and saw a card on my pillow. It was a card from my husband thanking me for supporting him during this difficult time.

I felt a big lump in my throat as I read the card and silently whispered "thank you" to God that I had chosen to give my husband a little grace today rather than the attitude I had wanted to give him when I got home.

I don't write this to say, "Look at what a great wife I am." I write this because it's times like these that I am so thankful for the grace God has given me.

I don't know how it feels to be let go from a job. I don't know what it's like being the sole provider for a family of four. I don't understand the stress and pressure that comes with desperately seeking to find another job.

But I understand grace. I've experienced it. And now I can offer it to a husband who has given me grace so freely, willingly and without any strings attached.

2 comments:

cybil said...

this is a very beautiful post!
GRACE is such a beautiful thing and you are right, and absolute daily life thing.
best,
sibylle

Unknown said...

Love this! I hope your husband can find a job soon! I'm sure he will. Sometimes I feel the same way when my husband happens to have the day off and I work all day...when I come home I expect it to still be clean and for him to possibly even have dinner cooked. But, I try give grace too because I know he rarely gets a day off...he is still in school and works two jobs. I just try to nonchalantly remind him to make the bed and pick his stuff up :)

xoxo Romantic Savy