Wednesday, October 3

Barefeet!

Remember as a kid the first time you walked abit too long with sand in your shoes? You were just too eager to do what you were doing to stop and clean out the sand or take the stone out of your shoe that was irritating you. When you finally couldn't stand the distraction, you took off your shoe only to find a small pebble causing the problem; or sand that just grated between your toes that looked so benign. Now that you are grown up, you feel the discomfort sooner and are quick to take off your shoes and clean off the debris because you know a blister can form pretty fast otherwise.
That analogy works so well as we see ourselves coming before the Lord in barefeet...no sign of sand, pebbles or stones. We come before the Lord with a clean heart because we know if we carry all the debris from the day before hidden, it will only cause a 'blister' in our relationship with the Lord that will chaff and hinder our prayers.
Many days I have been quick to put on a pair of shoes and head out to tackle my day, thinking I could pray my way through the pressure. I don't start my day in barefeet, meeting with the Lord. Those are the days that I usually have an issue with the Lord because I haven't come clean in examining my heart. Those are the days I don't take time to listen to His Word because I am too pre-occupied with my worries and feelings. I forgot to clean out my debris and irritations and I pay the price.
Just as my feet hurt when I disregard the minor chaffings, so my heart and relationships hurt when I ignore my sins. Big or small, sin is sin and needs to be cleared away before I start my day.
Barefeet doesn't leave alot to the imagination. Try meeting with God tomorrow morning in your barefeet...focus on your feet as you pray and imagine that your heart is free from debris, just as your clean unprotected feet are. You're not a kid anymore, you know that blisters can be avoided, and that it is as simple as a choice.

No comments: