Monday, June 11

So what about Father's Day?

I just finished reading the Sunday paper and noticed all the ads for Father’s Day. It reminded me of years past when I disregarded those ads when it came to giving my husband gifts for Father’s Day. I simply turned the page, thinking, ‘he’s not my father’ so I don’t need to get him a gift. What I came to discover over the years was that I daily needed to give him the gift of ‘being’ a father and allowing him to be all that God intended him to become. I don’t believe that is easy for any of us women. While we readily admit that our husbands aren’t our fathers, we often treat them like we are their mothers and there’s the rub!! By enabling his weaknesses and feeding his childishness we fail to see him for who he can become. Speaking to him like he is one of our children and having negative expectations of him will only be self-fulfilling and he will become stagnant in his quest to become the great father he could be. Just as we grow into being a better wife and mother ourselves, our husbands will grow into being a better person if we intentionally come along side him with wisdom and not demands. A few tips for you to ponder in relating to your husband this Father’s Day week:
1. Choose maturity for yourself. That will keep you busy and you won’t have time to nag your husband.
2. Praise him when he does step up to manhood…in whatever area that may be.
3. Believe in him, that he will become a man of integrity (Luke 1:37!)

Try it… I think your husband will think this is a much better ‘gift’ than a tie anyway!!

No comments: