Thursday, June 21

On Vacation...

This past week, both Stacy and I were on vacation! Unfortunately, we didn't go together, but we will have good stories to share when she finally returns to town. She and Ryan are on a mission's trip and you will hear more of that later.
The rest of our family headed up North to enjoy the woods, biking, fishing and alot of relaxing! Just before we left, I was once again smitten with the dreaded question of 'why am I doing this?' Going on 'vacation' is just too much work to make it worth while, so... 'note to myself...don't plan another one!' I have this conversation with myself almost everytime I pack up to leave my home and work. I think that should be a clue that I really do NEED a vacation.
This week I took a break from work, study, routine and just about everything. I made it a priority to only relax and reconnect with each member of my family. We did have to cut our week short by a day because of work, but I can sit and type this posting with a smile on my face, knowing vacation did it's magic and I am once again ready to face the everyday demands with patience and enthusiasm. What I would really like to share in this posting is the big realization I had years ago when I had little ones around my ankles and I was trying to pull off the perfect vacation.
1. I learned there is no such thing as 'planning a perfect vacation'. Perfect vacations do happen...but they happen because I was open to letting things fall into place and I was not trying to control everything.
2. I learned that vacations are like 'life'! If I increased my 'wonder' factor and decreased my 'expectation' level, it would help me take in everything that came along with patience and intrique rather than disappointment and anger.
3. Like life, vacations go by quickly, so I have had to learn to be in the moment and enjoy the new sights, sounds, food, interruptions, 'plan B's' and all the rest in order to really experience my vacation to the fullest.
4. I have come to realize that when I am in Colorado (or wherever I may be vacationing), it is best to enjoy all that Colorado has to share. I may never get back there again. So too with life, enjoy where I am in life today, there are no 'do overs'!

Vacationing with kids? Well, I'll share my thoughts with you on that tomorrow....

No comments: