Tuesday, December 4

5 Gifts for Children

Yesterday I shared with you the idea of 'giving intentionally' to your children. I shared how my husband and I tried to give gifts that would fit in one of 5 categories as we chose gifts. If we could give 5 gifts to our children, one from each area, we felt that giving gifts had more meaning and a lasting affect on our children.

Gift #1 is the gift of caring. I chose a gift that my child would love and hug and take care of long after Christmas. A stuffed animal or doll would fall under this category.

Gift #2 is the gift of learning. (Don't put that on the tag that hangs on the present...your child might not be so eager to open it!) This gift was a great book! I would search all year for a special book for each of my children! Over the years, our kids came to expect a book and often would give us suggestions as to what book they would look forward to receiving. Books encourage wonder and exploration. It continues to 'give' long after Christmas as well.
Of course the main benefit of this gift is that you, the parent, comes with this present! The advantage of giving a book to a youngster is that he can't read so he will have to climb up on your lap and enjoy a quiet time with YOU!

Perhaps this gift is a perfect example of when you bless others, the blessing comes back to you. Give a book...and then enjoy reading that book to your child!

Gift #3 comes tomorrow!

No comments: