Friday, December 21

What Do You Treasure?

In an earlier posting, I described having a "Mary's Christmas" this year. A year in which you would 'treasure up all these things and ponder them in your heart', like Mary did in Luke 2:19. I focused on the word 'ponder' in that posting. Today, to begin this Christmas weekend, I think it may be helpful to ponder the word 'treasure'! Treasure means to 'cherish or prize'. Mary treasured all the happenings of the first Christmas. May I suggest a way that I prepare my heart to cherish Christmas? I once again need to be intentional in my thoughts and then I find my actions will usually follow. I have made it a practice to list what I am going to give my friends and family early in the Christmas season. The list keeps changing and eventually I firm it up and get the shopping done. Often I am unsure who to give small gifts to...is it an obligation or a true act of love and kindness? This brings me back to the word 'cherish'. I write out beside each name what I cherish about each person I plan on giving a gift to. It sounds rather idealistic to put this in a posting, but it has helped me give with a heart of love rather than of obligation. It is only a short sentence that I write out but it is there to see as I review my list. Each time I refer to my list, I see the character quality or attitude or impact that person has had on my life and I treasure the opportunity to give back. Maybe this comes natural for you. If so, groom that ability. If you find yourself begrudging the money you are spending, the time it takes to shop or the things you would rather buy for yourself, try this habit of mine. I wonder if Mary was chosen by God partly because she could treasure and ponder without practice. For me, this has been a lifetime pursuit.
Once again, have a Mary's Christmas this year. A time to ponder and treasure all that God has blessed you with...beginning with the birth of His son to be our Savior.

No comments: