Tuesday, December 18

What decorates your home...and heart?

"So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger." Luke 2:16

This year I set up just two small pieces of Christmas decorations: two nativity sets.


I decided this December that I wanted and needed my heart to be focused on the true meaning of Christmas - Christ's birth. One way for me to do that was to have nativity sets in my home to remind me.

I have nothing against any other Christmas decorations, but I do want to challenge you: Do you have a nativity set in your home? Along with the stockings, Santa decorations, reindeer or elves, a gentle reminder that the true meaning of Christmas is a small baby can be very powerful.

If you don't have a nativity set I urge you to ask for one this Christmas or go shopping as a family and purchase one together.

Then start a tradition of reading the Christmas story together. This precious story of a baby is the reason for the season and I find it difficult to remember that at times with the craziness this time of year holds.

Take some time for yourself, with a significant other or your children to read the story of Christ's birth. Discuss what it may have been like and why we celebrate the 25th day of December each year:
Isaiah 9:6 says, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given."

Now that is reason to celebrate!

No comments: