Thursday, April 9

Maundy Thursday, What's That?

Today is Maundy Thursday. Do you know what that means?

Christians commemorate the Last Supper—a Passover meal that Jesus shared with his disciples on the Thursday before He was crucified. Before He broke bread with His disciples, He washed their feet.

So much was done that evening that speaks volumes to us today but often gets lost in 'tradition'.

We celebrate Christ's resurrection and the hope of eternal life, but do we remember what Jesus told the disciples just hours before His arrest?

After washing their feet, He told the disciples, "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

A few minutes later He said, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Easter is a time I thank God for my salvation. It is a time when everyone should hear the true meaning of Easter. Christ said the greatest command is to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."

Easter is also a time to DO what Christ said before His life was complete here on earth. It is the time to 'love one another'...the second commandment.

That's why Easter prompts me to think about my friends who are walking along side me to encourage me in my faith. I thank God for them and I let those friends know that they are invaluable in helping me keep both of Christ's commands.

No comments: