Tuesday, December 22

Delaying and deleting Christmas?

I am not a perfectionist by any means. But of course there are certain things I like to do for Christmas just like everyone else.

Bake. Shop. Christmas Cards. Decorate. Wrap presents.

These tasks have all been deleted or delayed this year as my time has been spent caring for my two little ones.I don't think anyone really cares...except me. My kids certainly aren't aware of the tasks mom hasn't completed. My husband definitely doesn't care.

But for some reason, I find myself trying to maintain the same standards and expectations that I do every Christmas. However, I've never faced a Christmas season with a 14 month old and a 3 month old.

It's so easy these days to view my kids as obstacles to me getting the things done that I need to do:
Hard to shop with snowy roads, cold weather and two little ones.

Hard to bake with two kids that need my time and attention.

Hard to find the time and energy to decorate (and then spend the entire day telling my son "no, don't touch that!).

It's hard to do what I've always done.

And so I'm not. I'm not doing it all.

And I'm learning to be ok with that.

Well mostly ok. I'm still working through some guilt and letting go of some expectations. But I realize no one in my home cares about decorations or gifts or cards or baking. They just want my time and attention and love.

And no one can give them the gift of their mother's time, attention and love but me! 

No comments: