Friday, April 27

A Moratorium on Multi-Tasking?

I wonder if I was to intiate a moratorium on multi-tasking for women it would be similar to 'bra-burning' back in my younger days? It certainly might be just as radical! Multi-tasking is a virtue...or is it? Women are so quick to ridicule a man for not being able to do more than 2 things at a time, but maybe it is the man who is wise in what he is doing.
When my kids were young, I had a poem that I required them to memorize...
"Once a job is first begun,
Do it well and get it done.
Be it large or be it small,
Do it now or not at all"
Maybe that should be our new mantra as women.
As a post script to my last posting, I began focusing on all that I have going on in my life. There are no more little finger prints to clean up after, diapers to change, activities to attend or car pools to drive, so what do I, as an older woman have to say 'no' to so I don't get into the Superwoman Syndrome on a daily basis. I think the first thing I realized was that I have formed habits over the years and now I have many jobs started and rarely do I give myself credit in finishing a task. I chalk it up to my grand ability to 'multi-task'. I think as long as I can keep the balls in the air, I am doing ok. As I ponder this further, I think I need to eliminate a few 'balls' and instead focus like a man and get my jobs done. Richard Swenson wrote a book several years ago simply named "Margin". In it he proposes that we need to make room for 'margin' in our life. A time to sit and enjoy, rather than move from one task to another. That is what we do in multi-tasking. We move from one task then another and another and we are like gerbils on an exercise wheel, in motion, but often without direction.
If we instituted a moratorium on multi-tasking, we might find some 'margin' in our lives and find that we are super in what we do and therefore we don't have to become a'superwoman' to feel successful.

Anyone ready to sign up for my moratorium on multi-tasking? Ok, repeat after me,
"Once a job is first begun,
Do it well and get it done.
Be it large or be it small,
Do it now or not at all!"

No comments: