Sunday, April 22

"What are you thinking?"

That was a question my husband asked me often when we were first married. I thought it was interesting when he first asked me that question. As we got into our marriage, I thought it was my responsibility to bring the 'softer' side into our conversation, so I always made a point of asking him, "What are you feeling?" I was pretty proud of myself for being so 'wise' in pointing out to him that 'feelings matter'! Over the years, however, I found profound wisdom in what Dean was asking me, if only I had really taken it to heart. I wish I had reacted swiftly every time he asked me 'what are you thinking'. If I had been smart, that could have been a cue for me to really think about what I was filling my mind with. The Bible says to 'bring every thought into captivity' and Dean's question could have prompted me to form some good habits early on. Instead, I have had to work through my 'feelings' over the years, only to find that God addresses my 'thought-life' more seriously. Proverbs 23:7 says, "as a (wo)man thinketh, so is (s)he." So, what are you thinking today?

No comments: