Wednesday, May 30

Guard your Sabbath

Could you imagine how different the world would be if we all were intentional about remembering the Sabbath? I think of the impact rest, relaxation and meaningful time together could have on marriages, families, and other relationships we value.

The Sabbath is such a simple concept: take a day to renew your soul. Why then is it so hard to do? Why is it difficult to set aside a day to ponder, rest, be resouled? I don't know why, but I do know that God must have known it would be hard for us because he made it one of the commandments and he led by example resting on the 7th day of creation.

If I am going to be purposeful about my day of rest, my entire week will have to look different. I will have to run errands, do grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, cooking and home projects the other six days of the week. I will have to guard my Sabbath day (whatever day I choose that to be) and not let meetings, to-do lists and 'urgent' activities determine my Sabbath schedule. I will have to be intentional about my time and my choices.

This is quite the challenge for a young woman. But, I know that taking a day to be resouled would benefit me personally - as well as my marriage - so it would be unwise not to guard my Sabbath and make it a priority.

Will you join me in guarding your day of rest? No matter what day of the week you choose, let's begin together!

No comments: