Tuesday, May 1

"Happy May Day!!"

That's been a fun greeting on May 1st since I was a kid! As far back as I can remember, May 1st was a day to make hand-made paper baskets of some sort, fill them with goodies and hang them on a neighbor's front door. Sometimes we would ring the doorbell and run and hide, watching our friends open the door and be plesantly surprised to find our May basket. I continued that tradition with my kids when they were little. It was the warmth of spring and the early budding of trees and flowers that enhanced the fun time. As our children grew older and we were busy building our business, my husband and I began incorporating the May Day tradition into a business promotion. We enlisted the kids and their friends to deliver little vials filled with water and several flowers door to door. Attached to the vials was a small flyer advertising our business. It became a popular neighborhood tradition that neighbors even anticipated. We delivered over 600 vials again today and every year I am encouraged how the simple greeting of "Happy May Day" just brightens everyones mood, even when I interrupt them mowing their lawn. It made me think how a simple, gentle greeting to someone can brighten their day. Just like Christmas can be held in my heart all year long, I need to hold "Happy May Day" in my heart and brighten someone's life every day with an encouraging greeting.
"Happy May Day!"

No comments: