Wednesday, May 2

Our duty

"One of the highest of human duties is the duty of encouragement.... It is easy to laugh at men’s ideals; it is easy to pour cold water on their enthusiasm; it is easy to discourage others. The world is full of discouragers. We have a Christian duty to encourage one another. Many a time a word of praise or thanks or appreciation or cheer has kept a man on his feet. Blessed is the man who speaks such a word." - William Barclay


Lately I have discovered so much about the power of encouragement. I love to encourage, motivate and inspire. I love it when I am encouraged, motivated and inspired – whether that's a Happy May Day to brighten my day or a card in the mail or a message on my phone.

In 1 Thessalonians 5:11 we are told “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up.” I agree with William Barclay above when he says that the world is full of discouragers. Celebrity magazines, talk shows and even politics thrive on tearing others down and making others look bad. 1 Thess. 5 goes against the grain.

There’s so much power in encouragement. I believe it can change lives, change the course of a marriage, or change a friendship. But it’s a daily choice we have to make. Every word out of our mouths can build up or tear down co-workers, spouses, classmates, friends, parents, or children.

May we all take the duty of encouragement seriously as we strive together to live out 1 Thess. 5.


No comments: