Thursday, May 17

Let the Rain Come Down!

Do you remember the song from your childhood that went like this,
"The wise man built his house upon a rock,
The wise man built his house upon a rock,
The wise man built his house upon a rock,
And the rains came tumbling down.

The rain came down and the floods came up,
The rain came down and the floods came up,
The rain came down and the floods came up,
And the house on the rock stood firm."

That song goes back a long time...I bet it is 75 years old or more! It doesn't surprise me because it is based on Matthew 5:24-27. That passage of scripture doesn't say we need to 'pray' for rain. It says the rain 'will come'! Matthew 5:45 says that it will "rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." Nobody will stay dry all their life! I've spent a good portion of my life trying to stay out of the rain...always hoping for sunny days. The years have taught me that, of course, rain is necessary to keep the balance. To make the grass grow and become green. 'Rain' is necessary to make me grow and stay supple for life's rigors. We can adapt the song (and verses in Matthew) to read, "the wise woman built her house upon the rock" This blog is hopefully all about building our homes on The Rock. Making sure that our time is used wisely and we are intentional about our choices and our activities. The song and the scripture goes on to say, "The foolish (wo)man built her house upon the sand" and when the rain came, the "house on the sand fell flat." It had no foundation, no reinforcement and no hope to survive the rain. I have found that I don't need to spend my life trying to avoid getting wet from the rain, but rather concentrate on building my life on firm principles, on prayer and Biblical teaching so I am sure The Rock will hold in times of storm. It's a 'counter-cultural' approach to building a home these days, but rain is in the forecast so be wise and choose to build your home upon The Rock.

No comments: