Monday, November 5

Love Those Recipes!

Don't you just love looking at recipes? I have talked with more women who read recipe books before they fall asleep at night!? I haven't got the itch to do that, but my mind does gear up for cooking as the weather gets cooler. Right now I am in the process of organizing my recipes! No small feat. Homemakers with Hope has taken this task on as homework this month, so maybe you would like to join the fun! It is an on-going task, but I have become abit more proficient with practice. Can I pass on a few tips in case you get the bug to organize your recipes before the holidays are upon you?

1. I have 2 big binders for all recipes that I love. The first has A-L category of foods (Appetizers, breads, cakes, cookies, dessert++) The second has M-Z (Meat, Seafood,Vegetarian++)

2. I have a small portable file box for all recipes that I would like to try some day, or recipes I have tasted, just not made. They are in files with the same categories as my binders.

As I try a recipe from my portable file and my family likes it, I transfer it to my binder as a 'keeper! If they don't like it or I didn't like making it, I throw it away.

One tip that has been so helpful to me over the years is that I have a master list of dinner ideas at the front of the first binder in a plastic sleeve. When I am stumped as to what to make, I flip to this list to jog my memory. I recently updated that list as well.

I also have a section for recipes to 'make and take' when I am asked to take a meal to a sick friend or a new mom...I turn to those recipes so I am not agonizing over what to make and if it will turn out.

Lots to share! Have any of you used the software that is available for organizing your recipes? That is intriquing to me. Please jump in here and share what works for you!

No comments: