Monday, November 24

Thanksgiving recipes!

In the next few days you might be asked to bring a recipe to a relative's house, to a potluck or maybe you are hosting thanksgiving for the very first time yourself.

Whatever the case, this week Barb and I will post a few of our favorite recipes for turkey day.

Today I'm including my tried and true Green Bean Casserole. It's not the typical ingredients...much more flavorful and tastier. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Grandma’s Green Bean Casserole
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1/4 cup onion, diced
* 1 cup sour cream
* 3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
* 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
* French Fried Onions (as much as you like)

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add green beans, and stir to coat.
3. Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top.
4. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.
5. Sprinkle French Fried Onions over the cheese. Bake another 5 minutes.

Note: I mix in one cup of the cheese and put one cup on top of the beans. I use a lot of the French Fried Onions!! I use 4 cans of beans instead of 3 and I often use regular beans...not french style.

No comments: