Tuesday, July 24

101 Things I Wish I Knew When I Got Married

When Ryan and I were vacationing in California last fall we came across a cute little store by the beach with fun knick knacks and home decor. We picked up a book titled 101 Things I Wish I Knew When I Got Married: Simple Lessons to Make Love Last. We flipped through it and it looked like the authors had some good things to share. We bought it, went down to the beach, sat by the ocean and took turns reading out loud. It is a sweet memory that we both treasure.

While no marriage book holds the 'secret' to making love last, I found some of their lessons insightful and right on target. Of the 101 things this married couple wished they had known when they got married, the first lesson they shared was: great relationships don't just happen; they are created.

The authors go on to say, "While compatibility and shared interests bring us together initially, they are not enough to keep us together over time."

I firmly believe that unless we are actively working toward a better, growing marriage we are naturally growing apart from our spouse. The busyness of life, the daily distractions we face and the stresses we encounter work against our relationships. We must make daily choices that are for the betterment of our spouses, the betterment of our marriages.

I am only six years into marriage. I know I have a lot to learn. I am so thankful for others who are willing to share what has worked and what hasn't worked for them. Sometimes I can learn from others, and sometimes I need to learn lessons on my own.

What lesson would you add to the list of 101 things YOU wish you knew when you got married? Share them with us - we'd love to hear!

And next time you are wandering through a store and come across a book on marriage, consider how it might spur you on toward creating a great relationship.

No comments: