Thursday, July 5

Did You Know?

Did you know it was a woman who wrote America the Beautiful? Back in 1893, Katharine Lee Bates was a professor at Wellesley College and spent some time in Colorado teaching summer school. During a break from teaching, a group of teachers visited Pike’s Peak which has an elevation of 14,000 feet. She wrote,
“We hired a prairie wagon. Near the top we had to leave the wagon and go the rest of the way on mules. I was very tired. But when I saw the view, I felt great joy. All the wonder of America seemed displayed there, with the sea-like expanse…
It was then and there, as I was looking out over the sea-like expanse of fertile country spreading away so far under those ample skies that the opening lines of the hymn floated into my mind. When we left Colorado Springs the four stanzas were penciled in my notebook…. I do not remember paying heed to these verses until the second summer following, when I copied them out and sent them to The Congregationalist, where they first appeared in print July 4, 1895…”

Katharine was on vacation from her routine, but not on vacation from being inspired! As you celebrate this 4th of July weekend, or go on your vacation later this summer, write down your thoughts and wonders. Don’t discount the beauty of your thoughts and who knows, maybe we will find ourselves singing your praises some day.
“May God shed His grace on thee.”

No comments: