Wednesday, March 24

Cure for the Common Life

I am not a reader by nature. Some people love to read. They have stacks of books beside their beds and are often reading 3 or 4 books at one time. I like to refer to myself as a reader by choice. I see the benefits of reading and there are things I want to learn, so I read. That also leads me to sharing that I only read those things that I find might be beneficial to me in my everyday life. I do not just read to read and I do not remember the last fiction book I read. I am not saying the way I read is the right way, it is just the way I am. My husband and I used to read a ton of books together on marriage and parenting before we had kids, now not as much as either of us would like. But every now and then I make myself sit down and read a good book. Last month I did something like that. . .I listened to a book on tape while traveling up north. I listened to Cure for the Common Life: Living in Your Sweet Spot by Max Lucado. Max Lucado just happens to be my husband’s favorite author and this is one book we had on audio that I had not read yet. I loved it! I was struggling with my theme for this year, but after listening to this book. . .it was clear. (We will be sharing our themes in a few weeks so I will wait to share. . .add a little suspense).

As I listened to this book I found myself being so thankful that there are talented people who write books that can speak so much truth in such an understanding and practical way. I was challenged and encouraged, but most of all reminded of where my focus needs to be. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for an easy read that refocuses you to look at yourself through God’s eyes and focus on living in your sweet spot.

No comments: