Monday, August 11

Inspired!

Have you watched any of the Olympics 2008 yet?! Wow, they are so inspiring! Last night the men's 400 relay in swimming upset the French team and the joy was palpable. Rarely do men show such excitment and unrestrained happiness.

Can you remember the last time you suceeded in a task and every fiber of your body trembled with enthusiasm?

I wish everyday activities would cause my adrenalin to flow and push me towards completion. Too often I have to talk myself into doing part of the task, hoping I will complete the rest by default.

I have been working on self-discipline again this summer (haven't I worked on that all my life?!) I guess it needs to be a way of life. Galations 6:9 says "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

I wonder if the swim team recited this verse as they practiced and trained during the past 4 years? I recite this verse often. I substitute the personal pronouns (me and I) so it makes it a verse just for me.

I know Delayed Gratification is a major player in self-discipline. I began intentionally putting that exercise into place along time ago. For example, today I need to make a few business calls I am not looking forward to. I also want to work in my garden tonight. If I delay doing the things I want to do (gardening) and complete the things I don't want to do (hard business interaction) first, I delay my gratification and get the things done that I don't want to do first because I can look forward to doing what I want to do later.

It's a far cry from winning an Olympic Gold medal, I know. But it works for me. Monday is a good day to repeat, "Let me not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time I will reap a harvest if I do not give up."

Do what you need to do today and then treat yourself tonight and watch the Olympics!

No comments: