Wednesday, December 17

Serving with a Smile...

Women serve at Christmas time. Ok, so we serve all year long, but Christmas just magnifies all that we to do so our family has memories, good food, special presents, fabulous decorations, an attractive home, harmony and happiness!

Carol Travilla, in her book Caring Without Wearing, warns about becoming a perfectionist when serving. She lists 5 unrealistic expectations that can contribute to burnout while serving:

1. There should not be any limits to what I can do

2. I have the capacity to help everyone

3. I am the only person available to help

4. I must never make a mistake

5. I have the ability to change another person

I don't consider myself a perfectionist, but I feel like I may crash and burn at times when I start believing these false expectations.

Christmas is a perfect time to serve with a smile. It is a time to reach out to others. It is also a good time to evaluate if you are truly serving or if you are trying to be all things to all people.

Stacy cited a verse in yesterday's posting:

"Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men." Ephesians 6:7

If we stay focused on serving the Lord, I think we can avoid the 5 unrealistic expectations and we will be able to serve with a smile...at Christmas and during the rest of the year!

No comments: