Thursday, May 6

Husband Expert

My sister is getting married in June. She, like me, has known her husband since they were 16. They began dating in high school and it has been fun to see their relationship evolve. A couple of weeks ago I was able to share with her some marital advice. I shared with her one of my favorite bits of wisdom from Barb. She has challenged me to become an expert on my husband. To get to know his thoughts, passions, dislikes, and quirks. I love that advice. So many couples grow apart and say that they have become different people who no longer fit together. Many use this reason as grounds for a divorce. I shared with my sister that surely my husband and I are different people than we were 10 years ago and I hope that in fifteen years from now I will see ways that we have both changed and grown even more. The exciting challenge in marriage is continually studying your spouse. I want to know how my husband's life experiences shape and mold him. I don't want to be left behind as we both grow, I want to grow together. That means I am diligent about the questions I ask him and I place a high priority on the time we spend together. I would also challenge you to become an expert on your husband...it really is important.

No comments: