Thursday, August 30

The truth of marriage

Last week I was home alone while my husband was on a work trip so I decided to watch The Notebook and scrapbook. I have seen The Notebook a couple of times and I love the story. I think I love it because it's all about a story coming to life. A story of love, loss and hard choices.

My favorite quote is when Noah and Alli, the two main characters, are arguing about whether or not Alli is going to choose to stay with Noah or proceed to marry her
fiancée (who is much wealthier and has her parent's approval). Noah is trying to convince her why she should choose him. His words are powerful: "It's not going to be easy. It's going to be really hard and we're going to have to work at this every day. But I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you. Forever. You and me every day."

It's not often that you hear in Hollywood the words 'It's not going to be easy and we're going to have to work at this every day.' But it is the truth of marriage.

By God's grace and our commitment, we CAN make this marriage thing work. But the reality is, it's not easy. And we're going to have to work at it.

Just like Alli, we all have a choice to make. Not only do we make an initial choice when we say "I do" to our spouse, but we have to choose every day to work at it.

Every single day.

What are you choosing today?

No comments: