Wednesday, February 27

A Great Questions To Ask Yourself:

In my last posting I shared a statement I heard from Chip Ingram:

"Everyone acts in a way that makes sense to them"

He followed that up with a question:

"What is the most generous explanation behind their behavior?"

Wow, what a great question. When I have had the presence of mind to ask this question, it has allowed me to cut the other person some slack. I don't find myself 'rushing to judgment.' As I try to formulate a 'generous explanation', I put my energy into a positive frame of mind rather than holding on to a critical, unforgiving spirit.

Having shared these 2 great tips with you, I need to share a disclaimer as well. Difficult people, dashed expectations, unmet expectations, marriage, friendships, any relationship that is worth holding on to takes work. I have not mastered the fine art of relationships! Stacy and I have shared some good things that we have talked about together and I know it all works, but it is a constant discipline to put this knowledge into practice.

I have found myself sharing some of these insights this month with a guilty conscience. A little knowlege 'puffs up'. I realize I may have some good knowledge that I have learned along the way, but what good is it if I don't apply it...daily. All that we have shared this month is just a reminder to myself to continue to grow as a friend, a wife and a woman.

How are you doing in this area of building healthy relationships? We can all benefit from a 'little help from our friends'!

No comments: