Tuesday, February 19

Unique!

That's a good word to reflect upon when you think of your marriage. I have come to realize the importance of recognizing and accepting the uniqueness of my marriage.

I work with my husband, we office out of the home. It has taken me a long time to adapt to the uniqueness that that brings to our marriage and to my other relationships. How I interacted with friends, dealt with the kids on a daily basis, kept up my home and even my private time were all affected by this uniqueness. I fought it often, wanting to 'be like everyone else'. Wanting my husband to "go off to work". Having some space to call my own.

When I acknowledged the uniqueness of my marriage, I could deal with the challenges. I found I could just as well meet my friends for coffee outside of the home. I learned to parent around the business and my kids grew up aware of their 'dad working' along side them.

What uniqueness has your marriage brought into your life? A traveling husband? A part-time job for you? A spouse with a disability? A child with autism? That is the fabric of your marriage, and it is important to learn to work with that uniqueness in order to make the most of your circumstance.

Identifying your uniqueness will allow you to build an authentic home. Accepting the uniqueness will allow you to become authentic as a woman, wife and mom.

No comments: