Tuesday, February 12

Marriage management


Last week I was watching a television show where one gal, a successful business woman, a mother and wife, was explaining to her friends that she was struggling in her relationship with her husband. She commented to them, "I thought my marriage was the one thing I didn't need to manage."

Immediately her comment struck a cord with me. Where the heck are we learning as women that relationships don't need to be managed? Whoever says that relationships will maintain status quo if just left alone?

Yesterday Barb mentioned the law of disintegration. I am not sure that we truly believe this applies to our marriages. That's why I'll say this quote again: "Marriage is hard, but good marriages are harder." Marriages must be managed not only for maintenance, but also for growth.

Hearing that comment on television last week makes me wonder what false beliefs I might have about my own marriage. What am I believing that is not true? What false perceptions of mine need to be challenged?

This week let's be intentional about managing our relationships - whether that be our marriage, our friendships or any other relationship in our life. How do we do that? Let's start by taking time to talk, to laugh, to check in, to show affection, to offer affirmation. That's as good as any place to start!

No comments: