Monday, February 4

What did you pledge?

On the cover of this month's Good Housekeeping Magazine is Dr. Phil and his wife Robin. The article featuring the two of them is titled "5 Secrets of Happy Couples." I saw this magazine when I was out and about recently so I glanced through it just to see the suggestions. I am always curious as to what those 5 'secrets' might be.

Number one took me by surprise: Unrealistic Expectations. Go Dr. Phil! He comments about how we tend to have a romanticized view of marriage. Somewhere along the lines we've decided that marriage should be all about love, happiness and passionate kisses. He says if you are in the midst of dealing with the garbage disposal, paying the bills and in-laws -- you are normal!

That's why I love the book Sacred Marriage. Author Gary Thomas makes this statement about marriage: "This is the reality of the human heart, the inevitability of two sinful people pledging to live together, with all their faults, for the rest of their lives."

How does that statement fit with YOUR view of marriage? What did you pledge in your marriage vows?

As we enter into a month that is consumed by romantic love, Barb and I will be here to explore relationships of all kinds and encourage one another to check our expectations at the door.

No comments: