Wednesday, March 12

Room for God?

Barb's posting yesterday focused on an inner issue that we need to address: the heart. Along with the heart, I believe the mind is a powerful tool (or weapon) when we are seeking to live a more simplified life.

I shared this week with friends that I am consumed so much of the time it seems with stuff "to-do." Not activities to go to and commitments to attend to, but rather stuff that I just want to get done personally...errands to run, calls to make, people to e-mail, cards to send, things to check out online and on and on (not to mention work!). It's all self-imposed -- or most of it is anyway. But it keeps me busy, busy, busy and at times even feeling anxious and overwhelmed.

Isn't that crazy? Just this week I am recognizing this trend in my mind...so I'm working to take every thought captive and think on things that are true, noble, just and pure.
Psalm 10:4 says, "In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God."

If my thoughts are filled with all the things I have to get done then where is there room for God? This passage is convicting and challenging. That's not how God wants me to live...and not how I want to live either.

I think I'm realizing that living simply means we must be intentional about our thought life....because if we don't take over our thoughts, our thoughts will eventually take over us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, your comments spoke to my heart my dear friend! Thank you for the reminder to take all thoughts captive to Christ!