Wednesday, May 21

What Do You Do On Memorial Day?

Is Memorial Day more than a summer kick-off for you and your family? Barbecues, a long weekend, end of school...it usually is a pivotal weekend that ushers in summer fun.

Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on May 5, 1868 by General John Logan. Different states claim to take credit for establishing Memorial Day traditions.

Early on, our family focused on Memorial Day as the beginning of summer. I didn't pay alot of attention to the real meaning of the holiday until my father passed away. He was a veteran and was buried at Fort Snelling. That introduced me to all the patriotic speeches and parades that were held at the cemetary in honor of fallen soldiers. I am sorry to say it took me many years to appreciate Memorial Day for anything more than a summer kick-off. I highly recommend a day trip to Fort Snelling for summer fun anytime during the summer.

In tribute to my father, we began taking our kids to the cemetary during the Memorial Day weekend. We decorated the grave and always read many different headstones. Looking back, I am so thankful that my dad actually left this legacy for me and my family. I don't think I would have been as intentional as I was. Exposing them to the miles of white grave stones each displaying an American flag was breathtaking.

We would come home from our visit and I would make my dad's favorite sandwich!

Olive/Nut Sandwiches
1/2 cup of green olives
1/2 cup of walnuts
Mayo to blend.
Mix all together and serve on a soft bread for a different sandwich experience! My dad loved these!

If you haven't given Memorial Day too much emphasis in your family, I would encourage you to re-consider and personalize it by visiting your relatives' gravesites and talking about their influence in your life. Maybe find a new recipe to share each Memorial Day that is exclusive to your family! Expand it by talking about our nation and the freedoms we enjoy because of the men and women who are willing to defend our country.

If you are like me, you will learn along with your family!

No comments: