Wednesday, November 18

My thoughts on holiday eating. . .

First I need a disclaimer, I am not a healthy eater as far at what most people think of when they think of a healthy eater. So please know that I am sharing my opinion, but I am not an expert in this area in anyway. . .that said. . .

I would like to take a moment to share my philosophies for eating during this holiday season as well as all throughout the year. I am someone who loves a good dessert, and I can’t make it through the day without a Diet Pepsi. I can often be heard saying, “Life is too short to not eat ________!” While it is often said in jest, I mean it. But I need to add another disclaimer. I am a firm believer in everything in moderation and portion control. I think having a little bit of everything is a good thing-it is good for our bodies and it makes me satisfied so I do not feel like I am going without. A close second to the everything in moderation is portion control. I remember a few years back going through my great aunt’s belongings after her death and looking at her salad bowls and dinner plate. I struggled to see how you could even get a few pieces of lettuce in those bowls let alone anything else on that salad. It reinforced in me the need to be observant about the size portions I eat. I was lucky enough to have an example of both these philosophies in my parents. We had goodies around the house and we were taught self-control in eating them. My parents always split a meal whenever they ate out. My husband and I now do that as well. It is amazing how half a burger is more than enough to feed us both. I would encourage you this holiday season to allow yourself to enjoy those foods that only are available at this time of year, but remember to be mindful of your portion sizes and that you can have a little of everything as long as it is in moderation!

No comments: