Wednesday, January 20

Making this a habit. . .

Life is cumulative . . .that is both encouraging and convicting all at the same time. In one sense our lives are not defined by one choice or moment, but on the other hand we need to be thinking about how we spend those daily moments because they are what make up our life.

After reading through our last chapter and taking a few personality tests, I have come to realize I am more of an introvert than I would have ever thought. (For those of you who know me that will come as a surprise as it did me). I am happy in the sense that by nature I self-evaluate on a regular basis, but I will admit I am not as intentional as I would like to be. After discussing this topic at homemakers on Monday I realized I fall into the category of wanting the system to work (ie journaling, recording on a calendar etc.) to record my goals of daily life, that I often get caught up in trying to find the perfect system instead of focusing on the purpose of that system. Do any of you have that problem? I think that has to do with my perfectionism. I want to have it just right before I jump in with both feet. I think I am realizing with this, I do not want to be that way. I feel that taking the time on a regular basis to review my choices and priorities will help me be more intentional. I have decided to take Barb’s advice and just choose one day a week, Sunday for me, and ask myself the questions she posted in the previous post(s). She suggested just getting into the habit of asking ourselves those questions so we can evaluate how our week went, not to beat ourselves up about our choices, but to help us evaluate if we are moving closer to our goals and living out our priorities. After awhile of just taking the time to ask the questions, it will hopefully become a habit and can transfer into a system that works.

I think this is one of those times where the rubber meets the road for me. I believe this is a great idea to help me be more intentional, but is not something that comes easily. I will have to make the choice to not do something else on Sundays in order to focus on my weekly review.

I hope some of you will join me in Barb’s challenge. In order to be intentional women we have to self evaluate. We need to write down where we are going, what our priorities are and then evaluate them on a short-term basis so that we can make adjustments so we can ultimately achieve our goals. I am so thankful for the reminder to not just let life happen to me but to be proactive and involved.

4 comments:

Kaiser said...

Thanks for the post...I can totally relate about wanting the perfect system in place before I begin something...Nice to hear I'm not the only one! It's nice to know that God doesn't want me to be perfect, He just wants me!

Katy said...

Hi Betsy! Would you share the name of the book you referred to in this post? I'm interested in reading it! What great inspiration you ladies are sharing! :)

Betsy said...

Hi Katy!

So fun you are reading this blog. . .the book is The Intentional Woman by Carol Travilla and Joan C. Webb. Of course Barb found another great book for us to read. It really gives you a lot to think about. . .hope all is well with your family!

Katy said...

Thanks Betsy! It's so fun to "see" (more like hear) you & the HwithH ladies here! Super motivating; I need that in my life, the inspiration & accountability to grow spiritually! You know I've always wanted to participate, now I can do it 'virtually'! :) We are doing just fine, loved your card & news @ Christmas. Miss seeing you! Hugs, K