Tuesday, September 25

Fabulous Fiction!

I usually don't reach for a fiction book when I get the chance to read. There are so many good books to learn from and to widen my horizons, I am attracted to the non-fiction section of the library or bookstore. This summer I read two fiction books I really enjoyed and if you are a big fiction reader, I would recommend that you check them out!
The first one is well written about 2 different marriages. The author uses a neat technique to write about 2 generations and she does a good job with it. Recipes for a Perfect Marriage by Morag Prunty is a sweet novel that played on all my emotions. A young bride learns unexpected lessons from her grandmother's journals and I found myself drawn into both lives. It kept my interest and taught me along the way. It is not a Christian novel, so don't choose this book if you are wanting that perpective.
The other book I just finished this weekend. It is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I had read his first novel, The Kite Runner and was pulled into the action of that book so quickly I wanted to see if this book would be as rivoting. While I liked The Kite Runner abit more, this novel really opened my eyes to 30 years of Afghan history from a woman's viewpoint. It dealt with family, friendship, faith and love. If you are a young mom, some parts will be hard for you to read but it will also give you such appreciation for our freedom here in America. A definite good read for women when we want to complain with the daily load we bear. You will never complain again!

No comments: