Thursday, January 8

Finish Fully in '09

I counted the books in my bedroom this week. 42.....42?! How does one have 42 books in their bedroom without a bookshelf to store them on?

The answer is piles.

I love books and I have piles of them.

It drives me crazy and I am certain it drives my husband crazy as well. But I cannot stop myself nor limit my infatuation with books.

I couldn't agree more with the following quote:

"For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die."
Anne Lamott (Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life)

My reading material lately has been focused on parenting and baby sleeping and good stuff along those lines, but it still gives me my reading fix.

I've been thinking of some things I want to commit to in 2009. One of those commitments involves books. I can't be so bold as to say I won't buy another book in 2009 or check one out from the library (there are three on hold for me right now!) but I will strive to finish what I start.

Finishing Strong or Finishing Well is a character trait that I admire. When it comes to books, I often skim, read certain chapters or get about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through and move on the next one.

I am going to work on that in 2009.

Now I just have to decide which pile to start with.

P.S. If you have something you'd like to commit to Finish Fully in '09 please share. We're always inspired by our readers!

No comments: