Thursday, June 12

A lesson learned

A few years back (OK maybe more than a few....) a young gal from my church came to me and asked if she could meet me for coffee.

I said, "Sure!" When we got together I was shocked when she asked me if I would consider mentoring her. I was not prepared for that at all and I didn't know how to respond. I was in my mid-20s and I didn't know why she had asked me. But I thought it might be a neat relationship so I said, "yes" and on we went.

Well I didn't do the best job pursuing her and I often felt guilty about that. On the other hand, she didn't do a great job of pursuing me or asking to meet with me.

Over time the relationship sort of fizzled out and I am not sure she ever really got much out of it and I don't think I did a great job of mentoring.

But I did learn a valuable lesson. If you ask someone to mentor you (whether personal, business, marriage, whatever), you need to be the one pursuing them - call them, e-mail them, be willing to meet them to show that you are interested and committed to that mentoring relationship. You can't leave it in the hands of the mentor, and expect her to pursue you.

I do believe a wise woman seeks to be surrounded by other wise women. Why not get started today?

No comments: