Wednesday, January 30

Cooking is cooking

On Monday I talked about perfectionism. Today I want to talk about another 'P' word: procrastination.

While I would like to think that I am naturally disciplined, the older I get the more I realize that I am a procrastinator. I need deadlines to bring me to action. Whether that's for writing projects or home projects, I can procrastinate with the best of them.

I noticed this week that if I don't want to work on a writing assignment, I will spend time with the Lord instead. If I don't feel like spending time with the Lord, I will clean the house and do the dishes. If I don't feel like doing the dishes, I will work on a writing project. See the crazy cycle?

I can make excuses with the best of them, that's why I love this quote: "What's a writer? Someone who writes. Planning to write is not writing. Outlining a book is not writing. Researching is not writing. Talking to people about what you're doing, none of that is writing. Writing is writing."
~ E. L. Doctorow

Here's the homemakers version: "What's a cook? Someone who cooks. Planning to cook is not cooking. Making a grocery list is not cooking. Clipping coupons is not cooking. Talking to people about a new recipe, none of that is cooking. Cooking is cooking."

Together let's remind ourselves....cooking is cooking!

I'm imagining Barb has some wise words to share about this topic. I look forward to hearing what they are.

No comments: