Monday, January 14

Knowing God

A few weeks ago Barb posted about having a theme each year. Barb encourages the Homemakers to do this each January so I have had a few themes over the years. This year my theme is "Knowing God."

In the past I haven't given as much thought to my theme. I chose it, but then I didn't do too much with it. I would think about it from time to time and maybe read a book on that topic or look up some related Scripture.

This year I decided to write out my theme. I chose to write why I picked this theme, found some related scripture and a few quotes that challenged me about my theme. I plan to work on my theme daily. The only way I can know God more is if I read His Word and spend time in His presence.

I thought I would share my theme with you and encourage you to choose a theme as well. If you take the time to do this now, you could see great results in how your attitude changed, what you learned or how you grew from being intentional about this theme.

Please comment if you are choosing a theme. We'd love to know what you've picked!

Knowing God

Why?

I recently heard a quote by Beth Moore that challenged my thinking: "I know my God,” she said. “I don't understand everything about Him. But I know my God is good. I know my God is love. I know my God has my best interest in mind."

Then I read this quote and it spoke right to me: “We only trust people we know,” says Martha Tennison. “If you’re really struggling to trust God, it may be because you don’t really know God.”

Scripture

Psalm 9:10
Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.


Philippians 3:8
What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.


Quotes
“Some people pray just to pray and some people pray to know God.” - Andrew Murray

“The more you get to know the Lord, the easier it will be to obey Him. That is what our quiet times should be about…getting to know Him.”

“God wants you to simply know him in the present and trust him with the unspoken ending”. – Ginger Garrett

“Being still before God is the Greatest Privilege that a Christian can have, besides being Born Again. When we are with God, we start to become more and more like him. This is something that most Christians lack - being still before the Throne of God. We dedicate most of our time getting our heads full of knowledge and have no quality time with our Father. An unsaved person can learn doctrine but that doesn't make him a good Christian. The same with us - we can learn doctrine until we are blue in the face and it can actually hinder us from knowing Jesus, like apostle Paul said ‘Knowledge puffs up but Love edifies.’" - Tony Ciaramello

No comments: