Wednesday, January 9

A Quick Question...What About the Interruptions?

Wise Women Make Good Use of Their Time...that is our topic this week. It actually could be our topic for the month as there are so many ways to look at this subject. As I wrestled with learning how to handle my time, a re-occurring question kept coming to my mind. "What do I do with all the interruptions that bombard me every day?" No matter how much I planned, I could never anticipate many things/people that would interrupt my well-designed day.
I read a book years ago that has given me the best answer to my question. The name of the book was Ride the Wild Horses. I don't remember anything about the book except the author gave three ways to handle life's interruptions. The book was probably pretty heavy-duty as far as subject matter, but I took these 3 points and applied it to daily interruptions. It really worked! As I have become aware of these choices, I have become aware of how they transfer over to handling bigger life interruptions. ( a topic for another week!)

Have I teased you enough that you want to know what the three ways of looking at interruptions are?
1. You can handle interruptions with resentment.
2. You can handle interruptions stoically.
3. You can handle interruptions creatively.

It was the 3rd way of handling interruptions that was a light-bulb moment for me. Before considering this option, I would take on an interruption and fume about it and resent that my day was now wrecked. Sometimes I would 'stuff' my emotions and passively deal with the interruption (stoically). Neither of these options would solve my problem of interruptions and neither would allow me to deal with them in a positive way. When I took on interruptions as a challenge to be creative and learn how I could incorporate them into my day...I became successful in managing my time. I was managing my problems...hence I was managing my life.
Hey, be encouraged! You have your whole life ahead to implement new ideas. Be creative this New Year...you've got 357 more days to manage!!

No comments: