Monday, January 21

January is National Organization Month!

I think there are 2 kinds of Homemakers in this world...one is the Ms SuperClean who has a place for everything and everything in its place; and then there is Ms FreeSpirit. She can't imagine having a 'place for everything' because it would completely destroy her creativity and individuality. Which one are you?
You may find yourself on a continuum somewhere in the middle, but none the less you have a bent towards one end or the other when it comes to keeping your house in order.
I can't bring both 'camps' of Homemakers together in this blog, but I can encourage you to realize what kind of Homemaker you tend to emulate and reach across the aisle to see what you might learn from the Homemaker who does things so different from you.
I have always had to stretch across the aisle to Ms SuperClean to get ideas of how to organize my home. It doesn't come easy for me. I have learned, however, the immense benefit my whole family has received when I made myself improve in this area. I have to also point out that my friends who reached across to get my help in 'living with flexibility', have grown in their ability to smell the roses even if they were strewn all over the patio.
Homemaking is personal. It is individual. It is a constant. But it also is a wonderful forum to discover your strengths and weaknesses and become even more than who you thought you could be.
Make January a 'National Personal Growth Month' and try being the Homemaker you never thought you could be! If you are Ms SuperClean, try relaxing and do what others in your home want you to do today. If you are Ms FreeSpirit, try disciplining yourself to organize your life for the sake of others in your family. It is the wise Homemaker that realizes that building a home is not about having things done 'my way'. It is about serving others joyfully and that might just mean that you may need to build within yourself first.

I can already hear the groans of personal growth beginning!
Happy January

No comments: