Tuesday, January 1

Saturated Fat

Happy New Year!

How is 'Saturated Fat' for a title to my posting?! This time of year we are all thinking, talking and planning our New Year's Resolutions. What are you resolving this year?

I challenge and encourage you to choose a resolution that is specific and measurable. Eat healthy or exercise more is not measurable or specific. What choices will you make to eat healthy? How many days/minutes will you exercise? Maybe your resolution is to spend more time with your husband or kids at home. Maybe it is to watch less tv. What does that look like and how will you measure it to determine if you are doing it successfully?

Shortly after Thanksgiving we discovered that my husband has high cholesterol. Our goal is to lower his cholesterol through his diet and exercise. Through research and discussions with others, we have learned that we do not need to limit all fats from his diet, but specifically saturated fats.

So I am resolving to pay very close attention to saturated fats this year. This means that I am busy reading labels on everything I buy. I am learning a lot and trying not to purchase foods that have more than 1 g or 1.5 grams of saturated fat per serving.

It is hard but my husband's health inspires me! When we go out to eat it is harder to make wise food choices so we are resolving to be wise with what we eat at home....and for us that means less saturated fat. That said, I did make cookies tonight :) But we ate in moderation....!

Do you read labels? That is a great way to be aware of what you are eating and what you are preparing for your family to eat. Barb told us in one of our first years of Homemakers that much of what our husband eats is due to what WE place in front of them. That includes breakfast, dinner and often times left overs for lunch.

That seems like a lot of responsibility and it is. At times I am overwhelmed...how do I cook healthy meals that don't take hours to prepare while being conscious of the food budget? One day at a time :)


Please comment and let us know what your New Year's Resolutions are. We'll try to tackle some of those topics in the coming days and weeks!

No comments: